History of the School
Alexander Hosea Primary School, established in 1684 and formerly named the Endowed School, is the only school in Wickwar.
It has a long and interesting history. Alexander Hosea was a weaver who lived in the village. In pursuit of wealth, he travelled to London where he made a fortune through the hostelries he bought.
He did not forget the village where he lived - with his fortune he set up a school for boys situated in Wickwar High Street: this was opened in 1684.
After his death a Trust Fund was set up to provide for the children of Wickwar. The fund continues today and is managed by Wickwar Trustees.
The school moved from the original building in Victorian times to the adjacent site. Girls were admitted for the first time.
The new school grew, and in 1992 the school moved site again. A third school was built away from the High Street. This school, the present one, took the name of Alexander Hosea when it moved. It commands breath-taking views of the Cotswolds. The earlier schools still stand and have been converted to private housing.
The school continues to grow and serves a growing village community. Children from neighbouring areas now travel to the school. Since 1992 the school has been extended three times. A stained glass window in the Wickwar church depicts this history.